TRAINING, APPRENTICESHIPS & POSSESSION PLANNING
RAILWAY TRAINING COURSES
In 2018 we acquired a 50% stake into PPS Rail. This investment allowed us to capitalise and expand upon MECX’s current service offering to include Rail Training & Possession Planning Services. MECX now offer an extensive range of Railway Courses and Assessments which include IOSH Working Safely and Managing Safely at our state of the art centre in Warrington, Cheshire.
These courses are run by our sister company PPS Rail who are accredited by the National Skills Academy for Rail (NSAR) and members of the Association of Rail Training Providers.
Courses are delivered in our purpose-built training centre in Warrington. This includes an indoor track induction area, three dedicated training rooms, IT equipment and catering facilities. The track area enables role play simulation in dealing with signals, cross-overs, overhead lines and personal track safety.
The Training Centre is just 2 miles from Junction 21 on the M6 motorway with plenty of free parking close to the venue. The Centre features fully fitted training rooms, twin track indoor practical area and a large kitchen/break area with free wifi.
The Railway Training Courses that our team supply include:-
- Controller of Site Safety (COSS)
- COSS Conductor Rail Permit (COSS CRP)
- COSS Overhead Line Permit (COSS OLP)
- Engineering Supervisor (ES)
- Individual Working Alone (IWA)
- Lookout/Site Warden (LKT)
- OLE Construction Level 1 (OLEC1)
- Protection Controller (PC)
- Person In Charge Of Possession (PICOP)
- Possession Support (PS)
- Personal Track Safety AC (PTS AC)
- Personal Track Safety DCCR (PTS DCCR)
- Senior Person In Charge Of Possession (SPICOP)
- Safe Work Leader One (SWL1)
- Safe Work Leader Two (SWL2)
There are lots of other training courses that we offer so please feel free to get in touch.
We believe that skilled employees are paramount to our operational success and that a business is only as good as the people it employs. That’s why at MECX we invest heavily in the training and development of our workforce in order to ensure that our business maintains a competitive advantage whilst remaining the preferred supplier to our clients.
The Apprenticeship programmes that we run are equally as important as our training, and more especially because of the current skills shortages facing the rail industry. At MECX we are committed to fully utilising our Apprenticeships & Training Programmes in order to provide our workforce with lots of personal growth and development opportunities.
Lots of exciting opportunities lie ahead for those wishing to embark on a career in the rail industry and over the next 5 years a £37bn spend by Network Rail updating its current railway infrastructure. Not to mention High Speed 2 being built. We run numerous Apprenticeship Schemes such as:-
- Rail Engineering Technicians – Track
- Rail Engineering Technicians – Off Track
- Rail Engineering Technicians – Overhead Lines
- Rail Engineering Technicians – Signalling
- Rail Engineering Technicians – Telecoms
- Rail Engineering Technicians – Electrification & Plant
Over a 3 year period you’ll have lots of responsibility together with a varied workload. As an Apprentice you might find yourself managing the tracks, inspecting projects or even working on the electrification system.
We pay you £9,479 during your first year, plus £1,265 for successful completion.
In the second year, this rises to:
- Age 18 – 20: £12,525.00
- Age 21-24: £13,331.40 (£13,431.60 from 1 April 2018)
- Age 25+: £14,182.35 (£14,250.60 from 1 April 2018)
- £14,924.20 in the third year.
So if you’re interested in working in the rail industry then make contact with our Crewe depot.
POSSESSION & ISOLATION PLANNING
As well as providing training courses our sister company PPS Rail has an expert team on hand to provide professional possession & isolation planning services. Our expert access team use a collaborative partnership approach with all our clients in order to ensure maximum productivity and that the job gets done with minimal disruption.
Providing a dedicated and highly experienced workforce to clients ensures maximum possession utilisation and delivery of any project on time and to budget. The staff we employ have extensive route knowledge of the rail networks which dramatically reduces any risks or works being cancelled.
Our planning team have the required knowledge and expertise to:
- Input Engineering Possessions applications into Network Rail’s Possession Planning System (PPS)
- Complete Railway Business Case and Access & Resource Planning Change Request Forms (ARPCR) for late requests.
- Attend all Pre-Possession Planning Meetings up to and including the PICOP Briefing.
- Plan Isolation’s and book Engineering Trains.
- Input Line Blockages to be published in the Weekly Operating Notice (WON) that require the stoppage of all trains onto the PPS.
- Complete all necessary possession documentation
- Produce a Possession Plan and update clients weekly on the status of their work sites.
For further information on Training or Possession Planning please contact our Crewe depot